Honey is a time-honored remedy for a sore throat. According to one study, it can also relieve coughs more effectively than over-the-counter medicines that contain dextromethorphan (DM), a cough suppressant. The honey does the soothing, while the lemon juice can help with congestion.
The guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Public Health England (PHE) suggest using honey first for a cough and have been developed after looking at the best available scientific evidence.
The evidence showed that honey effectively relieves the symptoms of acute coughs due to upper respiratory tract infections, and reduces the frequency of coughs and the severity of these symptoms. The guidance applies to adults and children over 5 years of age, as honey is not safe for children under the age of 1.
The following natural remedy will help you treat congestion and coughs:
DIY Honey Wrap Home Remedy
You will need:
- Organic Pure Honey
- Organic Coconut Oil, gently melted
- Coconut Flour
- Gauze, Napkin, Paper Towel, or Handkerchief
- Adhesive Medical Tape
Make a paste by mixing honey and coconut flour, and make sure it is no longer sticky. Then add the coconut oil, add more flour if needed, and then spread the paste onto the chosen material- napkin, gauze, etc. Next, wrap it in cheesecloth, and place it on the chest. Secure with the medical tape, and put on your shirt or pajamas.
Apply it a few hours before bedtime in children, and take it off before going to bed. Also, apply a small amount of the paste on the arm of the child and see if it causes any allergic reactions before you apply the wrap.
Adults can leave the wraps overnight. Note that honey has a warming effect, so sweating is a typical symptom of these wraps. You will experience relief even after the first treatment.
It is important to check for sensitivity to the ingredients found in this recipe before using it. This is especially true for children. An allergic reaction in children can be severe. To test for a reaction, apply a small amount of the paste on the arm of the patient and watch for swelling or redness. If swelling or redness occur, this treatment cannot be used for that person.
- Honey, not antibiotics, recommended for coughs
- DIY Honey Wraps to Cure Cough and Eliminate Mucus from the Lungs
- DIY HONEY WRAPS TO CURE COUGH AND ELIMINATE MUCUS FROM THE LUNGS
Source: Living Traditionally
- A Remedy That Destroys Even the Most Deadly Diseases: Honey and Baking Soda
- More Than 70 Uses For Everyday Items That Make You Healthy And Save Money Too
- A Recipe For Elderberry Syrup | The Blonde Butter Maker
- 15 “Super Herbs” to Kill Infections and Clear Mucus From Your Lungs in No Time – RiseEarth
- Here Is the Most Powerful Natural Antibiotic Using Only 2 Ingredients